Technical Assistance Opportunities
Through the TA Pilot, communities can access community designers, landscape architects, planners, community engagement specialists, community artists, outreach and marketing specialists, disability consultants, language translators, and public health and health equity experts to develop community-driven neighborhood/village health equity and placemaking ideas, designs, and project plans focused on improving public spaces to make communities more inclusive, healthy, welcoming, and connected.
Support may also include assistance with equity services, stakeholder engagement, work plan development, community outreach and engagement, communications and marketing, capacity building, grant-writing support, and project design and development.
A consultant team of local health equity ambassadors, designers, community engagement and outreach specialists, artists, placemaking experts, disability experts, grant writers, and health equity and public health professionals will provide “on-call” design and TA and design services.
Interested in getting help with initiatives in your community?
Services will include activities such as:
Building Community Power
- Helping communities build local capacity, understanding, and leadership for healthy community design and placemaking projects that further health equity and public health.
- Helping develop viable projects that overcome equity barriers while improving the built environment through placemaking, healthy community design, and inclusive community engagement
- Facilitating local conversations and meetings to help build local capacity and understanding about healthy community design and placemaking.
- Working with local leaders to engage the community, and advance their placemaking idea through a collaborative process, assist with grant writing and project development, and prepare them to apply for a Better Places implementation grant.
Outreach and Engagement
- Developing and implementing inclusive outreach and engagement strategies to collaboratively develop local healthy community designs or placemaking projects.
- Conducting engagement sessions for each of the TA communities to understand issues and barriers, that may include cultural differences, the need for language interpretation and translation, ADA related needs such as large print, ASL, captioning, wheelchair-accessible venues, and help collaboratively develop the project idea, engage the community through participatory and inclusive outreach and prepare the project team to apply for Better Places.
Design & Technical Support
- Developing a local project management plan that includes key deliverables and support mechanisms to advance local healthy community design and placemaking projects forward through a robust and inclusive community engagement process.
- Assisting with project design, development, community engagement, communications, and management plans for healthy community design and placemaking projects.
- Designing and developing concepts and plans for specific public space and placemaking projects that further health equity and healthy community design.
- Offering office hours to provide on-demand technical assistance, project coaching, and on-call support to local communities, organizations, and populations working on placemaking, community design, and health equity work.
- Providing technical support and resources to help local healthy community design and placemaking projects garner local support and obtain necessary local and state permit approvals and permissions.
- Conducting accessibility audits and reviewing current practices, initiatives, and facilities to identify barriers and opportunities to build more accessible places and communities.